The Government has announced a new initiative to develop better housing and urban environments as part of its programme of National Science Challenges.
Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities – Ko ngā wā kāinga hei whakamāhorahora was one of the areas identified by the National Science Challenges Panel in 2013 where science has the potential to significantly benefit New Zealand. This is the eleventh National Science Challenge to be announced by the Government.
The Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities Challenge will deliver:
- practical solutions to develop smart cities, better transport and healthy urban environments
- solutions to constraints on construction sector productivity and innovation uptake
- innovative materials, processes and devices for the New Zealand construction sector
- better understanding of demographic drivers and consumer preferences in housing
- solutions for cost-effective upgrades to existing building stock.
Science and Innovation Minister Steven Joyce says the Building Better Homes, Towns and Cities Challenge will research new technology and long-term solutions for our building environment.